Wednesday 27 August 2014

Make a Wish Card

Hello again, 

Well that's four cards in four days this week - I'd like to think that I've just been struck with a huge amount of energy and creativity but sadly I think I'm just tryong to avoid revising for my exam next month. Oh well, I'm enjoying myself anyway! This card was made for the Lawnscaping Challenge No. 88 - Texture. For the inspiration for this card I went back to my childhood days of playing with My Little Pony (all you 80s kids will know what I mean!) and used pretty pastels and images from the Critters Ever After stamp set from Lawn Fawn. I used textured watercolour card stock, smooth acetate and fluffy silk parchment to add a variety of textures to my design - Enjoy!


My card base was a white notecard from Papermania. I next used the Femme Frames die set from Mama Elephant to cut the front of a powder blue Hero Arts notecard and a piece of Ranger watercolour cardstock into layers. I then created a aperture in the front layer to allow a watercolour rainbow river to peek through. To create this a used Worn Lipstick, Mustard Seed and Peacock Feathers distress inks and plenty of water to create a watercolour wash on another piece of watercolour card stock. I love how the ink did the work for me and created all the colours inbetween with no effort at all from me. I dried this with my heat tool and then splashed clean water over the top. The distress ink reacted with the water a second time to create a watermarked texture. Once this had dried again I wasn't happy with how bright the colours were so I overlayed this with a piece of acetate to create a more pastel look which was much more in-keeping with my design. I adhered this behind the aperture window. The front of the aperture was created with acetate for a contrasing texture the rough watercolour cardstock.
Next I cut a number of cloudy shapes from silk parchment. I've had this in my stash so long I can't even remember where I got it from but I was so pleased to finally be able to use it. To make the clouds look extra fluffy I distressed the edges slightly with my Stampin' Up distress tool. I adhered them to the card with silicone glue to create lots of dimension.
The unicorn image is from the Critters Ever After stamp set from Lawn Fawn. I stamped it onto watercolour cardstock using Hero Arts Charcoal mid-tone ink, for a softer look than my usual black ink. I used Spectrum Noir pencils, paper stubs and blending solution to create smooth shading. I then used a Uniball white gel pen to add freckles. I used the Zig Wink of Stellar clear glitter pen to add sparkle to the mane and tail and Ranger Glossy Accents to add shine to the horn and hooves. Again I adhered this to the card with Silicone glue.
I stamped the Make a Wish sentiment, also from the Critters Ever After Stam set with the charcoal ink. I added lots of tiny star stamps using the three colours of distress ink and flicked clean water over the card to allow them to blend a little. I also masked off the centre of my card and flicked watered down versions of the three ink colours across the card. I used this same colour wash to create the look of the rainbow river splashing out of the banks for extra fun and of course texture. 
I completed my card, as ever, with plenty of sequins. For this card I used a combination of 4mm splarking clear and Pink Peonies sequins and 6mm lemon drop, aquamarine, pink blush and snow sequins all from Pretty Pink Posh.




Below is the Lawnscaping Challenge inspiration photo. Click on it to go straight to the challenge blog to see the amazing design team inspiration all the other awesome entries:


12 comments:

  1. This card is adorable! I love it! the watercolor rainbow is very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Heidi. I had so much fun making this card xx

      Delete
  2. OH MY GOSH!!! this card is incredible!!! INCREDIBLE! i LOVE that color wash of rainbow behind the unicorn, and the watercoloring is STUNNING! the sequins and felty clouds...beyond incredible! i am STUNNED! love this so much!! thanks so much for joining us at the lawnscaping challenge! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks for your kind comments Samantha. Really glad you like it xx

      Delete
  3. Oh, wow, what a card! My 5-year-old just fainted when she saw it! She loves unicorns and rainbows (as do almost all girls of her age, I suppose) and asked me to make a card like this for her too someday. I fear, this will definitely challenge me. Honestly, your card is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he! Thank you so much for your very sweet comment Sonja. I'm really pleased you & your daughter like it so much. I hope the recipient will be just as impressed xx

      Delete
  4. Magic card Jenny. Reminds me of when you were 4!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is gorgeous!! The colors are so pretty and I really like the textured clouds that you added! Thanks for playing along with us at Lawnscaping!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just so fabulous! Absolutely adore every little thing about it. Thanks so much for playing with us at Lawnscaping!

    ReplyDelete